Serves approx. 1L
- 2 cups filtered water
- 500 grams fresh beets
- 1.5 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp kosher salt
- Add the kosher salt to the filtered water and ensure that the salt is fully dissolved.
- Scrub the beets and remove root ends and tops.
- Chop the beets into ¼ inch slices
- Distribute the cumin seeds evenly between two pint sized glass jars.
- Stack the beets on top of the cumin seeds.
- Pour the salt water over the beets until they are fully submerged. Leave some room at the top of the jar (at least one inch) to allow the brine to bubble up.
- Loosely screw the lid on the jar and leave the beets to ferment for 4-5 days.
- Refrigerate and let the beets sit for another week or two before consuming. Enjoy!
- It is really important that the beets are fully submerged. You may need to weigh the beets down (i.e. with another smaller jar or shot glass) so that they rest below the level of the liquid. If you need to do this and find that you can no longer put the lid on the jar, you can cover the jar with a tea towel and place an elastic band over the top.
- Make sure you clean and dry the jars you are using to ferment your beets in properly.
If you’re having trouble falling and staying Fast Asleep, you may benefit from an evidence-based diet and lifestyle approach like The Fast 800 programme. Co-founded by Dr Michael Mosley, The Fast 800 online programme is designed to help members lose weight and regain their health with food, exercise and mindfulness guidance based on science. Poor-quality sleep is common among those who are overweight, and many of The Fast 800 online programme members report an improvement in their sleep and mood while following the programme. Learn more.