Serves: 4 jars
- 1 cup sea salt
- 8 cups filtered water
- 2 heads Chinese (Napa) cabbage
- 8 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 x 2-inch piece of ginger, grated
- ¼ cup fish sauce
- 1 Asian radish, peeled and grated
- 1 bunch spring onions (ends trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces)
- ½ cup Korean chilli powder
- Cut the cabbage in half lengthways and then horizontally to form 2-inch pieces. Discard the root end of the cabbage. Place the cabbage in a large bowl and mix in the salt. Add the water and ensure that the cabbage is submerged.
- Cover the bowl with cling film and let the mixture sit for 12-24 hours (at room temperature).
- Using a colander, drain the cabbage and rinse with water. Squeeze as much liquid as possible out of the cabbage leaves. Place the leaves into a bowl.
- Combine the garlic, ginger, fish sauce, Asian radish, chilli powder and spring onions into a large bowl. Stir until completely mixed.
- Add the cabbage to the mixture and mix until the cabbage is evenly coated.
- Pack the kimchi into 4 x 1 litre jars, pressing down on it firmly until the brine rises to cover the vegetables. Leave some room at the top of the jar (at least one inch) to allow the brine to bubble up.
- Seal the jar with a tight fitting lid.
- Let the kimchi stand at room temperature for 1 to 5 days. Burp the kimchi daily and make sure that the vegetables are submerged.
- After 1-5 days, transfer to the refrigerator. Enjoy!
- You will see bubbles inside the jar and brine may seep out of the lid. Just place a plate under the jar to catch any liquid.
- When you burp the kimchi- also have a little taste. When the kimchi tastes ripe enough for your liking, transfer to the refrigerator.
- If you are mixing the vegetables with your hands, be sure to wear gloves to avoid stains and stings.
If you’re having trouble falling and staying Fast Asleep, you may benefit from an evidence-based diet and lifestyle approach like The Fast 800 programme. Co-founded by Dr Michael Mosley, The Fast 800 online programme is designed to help members lose weight and regain their health with food, exercise and mindfulness guidance based on science. Poor-quality sleep is common among those who are overweight, and many of The Fast 800 online programme members report an improvement in their sleep and mood while following the programme. Learn more.