Makes approx. 2 jars
- 6 large fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 2 fresh chili peppers (e.g. jalapenos, serrano, bell peppers, etc), seeded and chopped
- 2 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp cumin
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp sea salt
- Juice of 1 lime
- Mix together the tomatoes, chili peppers, oregano, cumin, garlic and red onion. Take care whilst handling the chili peppers (you may want to wear gloves and ensure that you don’t touch your eyes afterwards). If you have a blender you can pulse the ingredients instead.
- Add the lime juice and salt and mix well.
- Spoon the salsa bit by bit into clean 1L mason jars. Gently press the mixture so the juices cover the salsa. Leave some room at the top of the jar (at least one inch) to allow for expansion. Put on the lid and leave the salsa to ferment for 2 to 3 days.
- Transfer to the fridge and enjoy! The salsa should keep for a few months whilst refrigerated (you should be able to tell fairly easily when it starts to go off).
Note: This makes a fairly spicy salsa, so you don’t need to include the chili peppers if you prefer a milder salsa. You can also add lemon juice instead if lime juice if you prefer and add additional herbs and spices. The salt is needed to ferment the salsa.
If you’re having trouble falling and staying Fast Asleep, you may benefit from an evidence-based diet and lifestyle approach like The Fast 800 programme. Co-founded by Dr Michael Mosley, The Fast 800 online programme is designed to help members lose weight and regain their health with food, exercise and mindfulness guidance based on science. Poor-quality sleep is common among those who are overweight, and many of The Fast 800 online programme members report an improvement in their sleep and mood while following the programme. Learn more.